Datsun 240z

For a number of years I had a 1973 Datsun 240z, and a 1978 280z 2+2 parts car. Here you will find some of the posts and videos from those two cars.

One week after ignition

So it's been over a week now since I drove the 240Z for the first time. What have I gotten done in that timeframe? Not much!

I basically didn't touch the car until Thursday, and all I did then was take a few minutes to inaccurately measure the requirements for the flange on the downpipe. Friday I picked up a header collector flange from my buddy Russ' place. Sunday morning I went to work on that flange, it needed some help to make it fit.

Sunday afternoon I spent some time in the sauna, I mean garage. I managed to get the coil pack and EDIS module mounted to the fender. I then started trying to clean up some of the wiring in the engine bay. I got some plastic loom a while back so I started running that to cover up the mess of wiring in the engine bay. I also ran the loom in the passenger compartment around some of the wiring in there. It's not finished, but it's definitely starting to look better.

Dad helped me to put a switch inline for the main relay. Luckily with the car not idling yet I haven't had problems turning the car off, but with the way things were wired if the car was idling properly you'd have to pull a fuse or disconnect the battery to shut off the car. Now that I have a switch it's easy to do!

After that Dad and I put the hood and hinges on the car, the first time since I've owned the 240 that it has had a hood attached! From there we loaded the car up onto the trailer later in the evening.

This morning I got up early (a rarity for me) and took the car/trailer over to the Carx on St. Charles Rock Road in Bridgeton. Rick was extremely helpful over there and by 12pm today I was back up there loading the car up on the trailer with Eric's help. Carx put a 3" pipe from the downpipe back to the rear axle, with a turndown on the end.

It's still quite loud, but if I do say so myself, it sounds pretty damn sweet! Eric and I brought the car home, and before trying to push it off the trailer I finally got it started. I'm having starter issues and will probably try to replace the starter Thursday or Friday of this week.

I drove the car off the trailer and into the garage, it's a beautiful sound!

I'm still aiming to compete drive the car at the Autocross on Sunday. Before I can do that I have quite a bit left to do.

1. Fix the idle (longer idle screw)
2. See if there's any fluid in the transmission (can't get the fill plug out so I've not pulled the drain plug yet)
3. Build a bulkhead/firewall for the fuel cell
4. Finish up wiring for the O2 sensor
5. Get a harness squared away
6. More stuff I'm sure I've forgotten!

Recent Comments

There are currently no comments. Be the first to make a comment.

Add Comment

Please add your comment by filling out the field(s) below. Your comment may need to be approved before it becomes visible.
Enter your first name for display with the comment
Enter your last name for display with the comment.
Enter your email address so that we may contact you if necessary. We will also use this for your Gravatar.
Enter the URL to your website. URLs may be removed from comments.
Enter your comment here.
If you can't type Human2 in, you can't post, plain and simple.
Submit Comment Cancel

Chris Hammond is

Chris Hammond is a father, husband, leader, developer and car guy. Chris has long specialized in ASP.NET and DotNetNuke development, so you will find a variety of topics here on the website. For more information check out the about me page.

If you are looking for DotNetNuke consulting please visit my business website at https://www.christoc.com/